Great News! Murry Bergtraum field is now open (map). As such, we will be updating the schedules for the remainder of the season, (starting May 4) to take advantage of our preferred location as it is much closer than Randall’s Island.
The new schedules will be posted as soon as the ink is dry, but check below for the changes:
Please Join Us!
Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM
2013 OPENING DAY CEREMONY
We’re kicking off the celebration at the
Christopher Street Pier.
We’re marching to Save Pier 40
and to celebrate GVLL’s 2013 Opening Day.
This year, we would like to invite you, our entire community, to enjoy this special morning with us and to ensure that we enlist everyone’s help to get the funding we so greatly need to keep our pier open!
Whether you’re a little leaguer, soccer player, football player, or member of the community, we encourage you to dress in uniform (or Pier 40 Champions colors) to march with your team, friends, family, and neighbors – just come and join us!
It’s a great way to start the season! It’s a great way to start your day! And, it’s a great way to show support for your pier – Pier 40!
In the meantime, during the march, opening day, and for weeks to follow – tell us what Pier 40 means to you! Follow us on Instagram & Facebook to share your favorite Pier 40 memories, show team spirit, and support our fields by uploading photos of you and your friends spending time at Pier 40. We look forward to hearing from you! Don’t forget to include tag #Pier40Champions
WHEN and WHERE:
- Juniors (13-14 year old): Sunday February 10, 2013 at Pier 40 beginning at 9:30 am.
- Seniors (15-16 year old): Sunday February 10, 2013 at Pier 40 beginning at 1:30 pm.
WHO: All registered players must try out (including those who played in Juniors or Seniors last Spring). If you are unable to attend the tryouts for any reason (including illness or injury) you must notify the Division Coordinator, ART HENKEL, in advance (917-716-7405).
ON-SITE REGISTRATION: On-site registration is not available. On-line registration remains open but late fees will apply after January 31st. Players who are not registered cannot try out. If you have registered after January 31st please bring proof of registration.
TRYOUT PURPOSE: Tryouts are designed to create team balance — all registrants will be assigned to one of our teams so long as they try out. (See make-ups below.)
PRE-TRYOUT WORKOUTS: In order to prepare for the tryouts it is strongly suggested that registered players attend one or more of the remaining scheduled workouts at the Pier 40 batting cages. The workout dates for Juniors and Seniors are listed below:
- Sunday January 27: 1:30PM to 4:30PM
- Saturday February 2: 9AM to noon
- Saturday February 9: 9AM to 1PM
For insurance reasons players who have not registered cannot participate in these workouts.
BATCHED TRYOUT SCHEDULE:
- Pitchers and catchers only arrive at 9:30 am. In addition to being rated as a pitcher and/or a catcher, you will also be graded on hitting and fielding. You do not have to return later that morning to try out with the position players.
- Position players with last names from A to L arrive at 10:45 am.
- Position players with last names from M to Z arrive at 11:45 am. Tryouts end at 12:45 pm.
- Pitchers and catchers only arrive at 1:30 pm. In addition to being rated as a pitcher and/or a catcher, you will also be graded on hitting and fielding. You do not have to return later that morning to try out with the position players.
- Position players with last names from A to L arrive at 2:15 pm.
- Position players with last names from M to Z arrive at 2:45 pm. Tryouts end at 3:45 pm.
SUNDAY MAKE-UPS: If you cannot make your assigned time slot, you may come at another time slot Sunday morning or afternoon. If you are not attending the tryout during your the rest of your Division, (ie, Juniors in the morning, Seniors in the afternoon) it will be noted and you will be rated accordingly.
WEEKDAY MAKE-UP: There will be a make-up tryout on Tuesday, February 12 at Pier 40 starting at 6:00 pm and ending at 7:45 pm. The amount of time available on Tuesday evening is limited so you are strongly urged to attend the Sunday tryouts since there will be more time for the coaches to evaluate you. For scheduling reasons requests to attend the weekday make-up tryout must be made in advance of February 12.
- Players trying out for catcher must wear a cup and all others should wear them.
- You may bring your own catchers gear, but we will have catchers gear available.
- All players should bring their own mitts and batting gloves.
- Bats are available but you can bring your own if you want. Remember that Juniors use wood bats throughout the season but metal bats can be used at the tryouts.
QUESTIONS: Please contact the Division Coordinator Art Henkel at 917-716-7405.
Here is what you need to know:
- Tryouts for the Majors Divsions will take place on Super Bowl Sunday, 2/3/13, at the P3 Baseball Complex within Pier 40 (Time slots run from 8am to 2pm, but you must sign your player up for ONLY ONE 45 minute slot). Upper Division Tryout Dates will be posted soon.
- Each player is required to go to the link below and sign up for a 45 minute tryout time slot. Please make sure to pick a time slot for your player that matches his/her age and note there are specific times listed for those players who are trying out to pitch and/or catch in addition to playing other positions.
- All players must tryout as this allows the league to effectively draft both divisions
- Please note, tryout times are optimized for the divisions. Early time slots are intended for players trying out for Majors B (8-12 year olds), the later slots are for Majors A (the more advanced division, 10-12 year olds only)
- Players who intend to pitch and/or catch must attend a session for pitchers & catchers (these slots run between 9:30am and 12:30pm).
This is how to proceed:
- Visit this site to register
- Pick a time slot you wish for your child to attend (again, earlier slots for Majors B, later for Majors A)
- Confirm if this time slot meets your child’s age & requirements (ie: returning Minors player, etc)
- Confirm if this time slot includes pitching and catching if your child wishes to pitch or catch
- Make sure you put your child’s name in the registration field under the section called “Attendee Ticket #”
- Lastly, PLEASE ONLY SELECT ONE TIME SLOT PER CHILD
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What to bring? Comfortable work out clothes, glove and bat (if player desires). Players should also dress in layers as it may be cold inside the facility
- What if my child is away? There is a makeup date scheduled for 2/5. You can sign up for this makeup date on the registration form
- What if I haven’t registered? You can still register for the upcoming season at: gvll2013.eventbrite.com.
- What if I don’t know what division my child should play? Generally first year players have a better experience in the Majors B division. If you are unsure, tryout during an earlier time slot.
- Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
See details on the Winter Training webpage
GVLL is happy to support in person registration for those unable to register online
- Saturday, January 5, 2013: 12 – 2pm Hudson Guild Fulton Community Center, 119 9th Avenue, (between 17th & 18th) map
- Sunday, January 6, 2013: 10am – 2pm Tony Dapolito Recreation Center, 1 Clarkson St (corner of 7th Ave), map
- Wednesday, January 9, 2013: 7pm – 9pm Tony Dapolito Recreation Center, 1 Clarkson St (corner of 7th Ave), map
If this the first time that your child is being registered with GVLL, you will need to bring the following documentation:
- Proof of child’s age (passport, birth certificate)
- Proof of residence (cable bill, insurance bill, utility bill, etc) that confirms that you reside within the GVLL boundary boundary map
- Payment (credit card preferred, or check)
For full registration information, please see our Registration web page
It’s that time. Registration for the Spring season is now open. See detailed information on the Registration page. After you register, be sure to check out the Winter Training schedule for baseball and softball players ages 9 and above.